What do I need to do after I have had an accident?

Do I need to report an Accident?

You must file an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report (Form 735-32) with DMV within 72 hours when:

Accidents in areas open to the public for the use of motor vehicles must be reported. Some drivers who are in accidents offer to fix the damage and try to get the other driver not to file a report. If you agree to do this, you are breaking the law if the amount of damage is more than $1,500. Always remember to keep a copy of your report for your own records.

You must file a report even if your vehicle was the only one in the crash. If you do not report an accident when required to do so, your driving privileges will be suspended. Accident forms may be obtained at any DMV office or online at www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV

Do I need three Estimates?

Under ORS 746.275 you don't need more than one estimate and you get to choose the shop of your choice. However you must inform the insurance company where the vehicle is, whether it is the repair shop or elsewhere, so they may have access to the vehicle to inspect the damage.